Monday, October 01, 2007

My walk to work

Most days I (Alan) go to the Baptist Theological Seminary here in Managua. From our house I walk 2 blocks to catch a bus, then a 15 minute bus ride, and then a 6-block walk to the Seminary. Here are a few things I typically see on my way to work:
- several women selling fruit salads and fruit drinks
- a teenager who, it seems, sniffs glue
- an abandoned lot with graffitti along the walls
- houses that were severely damaged in an earthquake 35 years ago but which some families still call 'home'
- a Baptist primary/secondary school with a well-kept soccer field
- a woman selling bananas & other fruit (I can buy 12 bananas for about $0.50)
- a public park where the weeds typically cover the bottoms of the playground equipment
I then pass through the green gates of the Seminary, and I'm at work.

The photo above shows the governmental heart of Managua - the tall white building is the National Assembly headquarters. The seminary, while not visible, is about 4 blocks east (to the right, just beyond the scope of the photo). Lake Managua can be seen in the background.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey guys! That's an amazing photo. Thanks for sharing about the everyday life there, Alan.

brando said...

Hi Alan & Beth!

Just thought that I'd leave a comment- I have been keeping up with your blog, and I always find your posts insightful and amusing. I hope that everything is going well and that you are experiencing Grace as you serve.

Brandon

pamela said...

that is a great photo! and i see quite a few of those things (except for the glue sniffing) on my way up carretera sur too...anyway, looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow night!

Anonymous said...

OhHh, Do I Get to See ThAt WHEn i CoMe and ViSiT (yEs!)...

So, Just HiTtin' All yoUR iNTernet Site To Say That I SenT THe PAckage To KathY, pLEase Tell HEr to KEep On The LoOk ouT!

EnJoy,

w (^_^)

Tim and Deb said...

i love seeing that picture and totally knowing where it is!! I believe the abandoned cathedral is just to the right and crown plaza is just out of the photo as well! HAHA!