Saturday, September 22, 2007

Guatemala Work and Learn Trip

I (Beth) just returned from 10 days in Guatemala with a group of 5 Nicaraguans and 4 Hondurans. We went to work on the 4th floor of the Anabaptist Seminary Semilla and participate in various dialogues and learning experiences with Anabaptist young people in the 3 Central American countries. I was taken back to my middle school wood shop class as I helped to fashion beds from wood with my bare hands. I tried to keep up with all the conversations, ranging from the serious (how the Central American church can be active in areas of disaster response, HIV/AIDS, and migration) to the ridiculous (with which animal cracker you relate best). I was inspired again by the network of relationships around the world in which MCC works, and watched my Nicaraguan friends experience this inspiration. I was reminded how much opportunities for travel, service, and leadership shape us. This is a privilege and an opportunity that should be available to young leaders all over the world. If you want to see more pictures/captions from the trip, you can click here.

No comments: