Thursday, August 02, 2007

What? Coca Cola is good for you?


So apparently Coca Cola in Nicaragua is trying to market itself as a healthy drink. Here's a label that I cut off a bottle of Coke the other day. Here's the translation on the left-hand side:
'Wellbeing Movement - Commited drop to drop'
And now the four drops on the right (left to right):
- only (!) 100 calories, or 5% of your daily diet
- contains thousands of smiles
- a good source of hydration
- a drink low in sodium
And across the bottome, in black letters:
'Walking 30 minutes every day and smiling is part of your wellbeing.'
So go ahead! Drink Coke! It's healthy! Never mind that your smiles will be toothless.
For a truer picture of the effects of soda on a person's body (and fast food in general), we recommend the movie "Supersize Me". I'm not sure where Coca Cola gets its statistics, but this marketing campaign seems like a stretch and would never fly in the U.S.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Mountain Dew, however, has been scientifically proven to be better for you than tomato juice...

:)

Unknown said...

I was going to make a comment but then I saw that someone else already wrote a comment, so you don't need mine. Anyway. This is me not commenting. But thanks for commenting on my now dying blog!! Actually, you commented on the post that tracks who reads my blog, so you will be stuck at the top of my page until at least 2010. Way to go eternalizing yourselves that way. And as for the last post you made - it's another reason to go back and visit you all because I never quite made it there.

Hope my not-comment made you happy.

Sarah