Saturday, June 23, 2007

Finding the perfect donut


So I've had this silly 'quest' for a long time. I ate this white cream-filled donut as a kid, at Dunkin' Donuts and a local donut shop, that I just loved. In recent years, however, I have been foiled in my attempts to find this yummy donut. I visited donut shops in the northeast (didn't make it to a Dunkin' Donuts on my last trip to NY). I visited donut shops in the midwest (the Dunkin' Donuts I tried in Chicago left me disappointed). Even in Los Angeles, where there's a donut shop on practically every corner, this white cream-filled wonder was not to be found.

Imagine my surprise, then, passing through Tegucigalpa, Honduras, en route to an MCC retreat, to find a Dunkin' Donuts shop. What the hey, I thought. There might be a chance this place has the donut of my dreams. And so I went in. And stepped to the counter. And looked at the racks of donuts. And blinked twice. And there it was, a perfectly round, powdered sugar-covered beauty, with white vanilla cream bursting from the side. I immediately bought one (globalization in action right there) and enjoyed every second of it.

I also bought one for breakfast the next day. Who knows when I'll get to eat another of these, my favorite donuts? And we had our picture taken in the shop, as documentation of the end of my quest (for now). I'm also planning my next trip to Honduras...
--Alan

No comments: