Monday, March 10, 2008

Misa Campesina

Last night we went to the Centro Cultural de Batahola Norte (one of MCC´s partner organizations here) for their weekly mass in the style of the Misa Campesina. This misa (mass) beautifully brings the gospel to the distinct Nicaraguan context, in which campesinos (farmers) bring God their offerings of work and resources from the country, and Jesus is present in the little towns of Ticuantepe, Moyogalpa, etc. We have been a few times to hear the choir, accompanied by guitars, recorders, and marimba, lead the community through the songs, readings, prayers, and the Eucharist, and it has always been a very enriching experience--both culturally and spiritually.

This song, Yo te ofrezco Señor, says "Lord, I offer in worship to you this daily hustle and bustle, all of the energy I can give with my sweat. Lord, I offer you all my work, my arms and the living enthusiasm in my heart!" And all this sung along with people dancing with baskets filled with typical Nicaraguan offerings. (photo courtesy of the Batahola website)

No comments: