Saturday, April 28, 2007

While everything's new, we might as well...

As you can imagine, everything is new for us here in Nicaragua. The language is new. The climate is new. The cities, streets, landmarks, directions, all new. So is the food.

So we decided, what the heck, since we’re already learning so many new things, why not add a few more. And so we have.

Since arriving here in Nicaragua, I (Alan) have learned how to drive stick shift. No, I never learned how to drive it in the US. But here in Nicaragua, why not? After a few lessons with Lydell, one of our fellow MCCers, I’ve got the hang of it enough to drive around Managua. I’ve even done some non-city driving. Off-roading is being dishonest, because there was a road. But this particular dirt road was unlike anything I’ve ever driven before. Fortunately, for that experience, I had a former off-road driving instructor in the truck with me. He was a very helpful ‘non-anxious presence’ and only once did I have to roll back down one particularly steep hill. Now, should you choose to come visit us in Nicaragua, I can drive the truck to meet you at the airport.

I (Beth) have been learning the guitar. I had toyed around with it at various other times in my life, but when I found a guitar in the MCC office here, I decided to work at it more in earnest. So, with the help of many Nicaraguan teachers along the way, I can put chords together and play enough to accompany worship songs, as well as singing times with our neighbor kids. It's a good musical outlet for us, since we aren't part of a music group and don't have many opportunities to play piano. I've been delighted to find that this process has really helped me to view chord structures, keys, rhythms, and playing "by ear" in a new way. I am no virtuoso, but if you come visit us in Nicaragua, I might be persuaded to lead us in a round of "Todo poderoso" o "Tu Nombre Levantaré." :)

1 comment:

Emily said...

oI had to do a double take, there, Beth...was that a hip young student strumming away at some nameless college campus, or was that my hip young (but not too young not to be taken seriously) sister-in-law fiddling around on yet another music outlet? :) I'm glad you've been able to take on a new instrument. que buen idea! I'd love to rock out w/ you on "todopoderoso"...someday :)