Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mujeres Fuertes, Part 3

Through various avenues, I continue to be drawn into the struggle of women here. I have heard startling and heart-wrenching statistics about prostitution/sexual abuse here. Women continue to be objectified at every age and every level, from demeaning cat calls on the street to little girls being given into sexual service to support their families (and everything in between). I have also heard from some very compassionate and hopeful responses to these tragedies. For example, a couple weeks ago I heard a great presentation by a woman here who is working with women to give them options outside of prostitution--see this website for more info: http://www.houseofhopenicaragua.com/aboutus.html


I also had the opportunity to meet a very young, savvy Nicaraguan businesswoman and to see the workshop that she runs with the other women in her rural community.






In Asiento Viejo, we met women who are working with a community garden project that MCC is helping to accompany. It was great to see the way they felt pround and empowered as they are able to care for the garden and sell the vegetables. And last week, while meeting with a group of women, I even preached my first sermon in Spanish!
-Elizabet

No comments: