Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Mujeres Fuertes, Part 1


I have many thoughts and questions about the "strong women" here in Nicaraguan culture! The sociologist, woman, theologian, granddaughter, and wife in me have been emerging and intersecting many times recently as I´ve thought about the roles of women in my life and in society. But for now, I'll keep it brief (but expect more later :)).

We are thoroughly enjoying our "mother" and "grandmother" here in Nicaragua--two delightful and strong women. Leonor, a hard-working, faithful, 84-year-old saint, is in the picture.

Last Tuesday, my Grandma Claassen, another octogenerian saint, died in Kansas. While it has been difficult to be away from family, it has been wonderful to reflect on her life and her incredible mixture of intelligence, compassion, and gentleness.

2 comments:

Erin Sigler said...

My thoughts are with you guys! ¡ Les estoy mandando muchos besos y abrazos! Estoy tan orgullosa de nuestro grupo y todo lo que estamos haciendo.

Bendeciones,

Erin

Jeremy said...

Hi Beth,

I'm so sorry to read that your grandma died! I know how much your family means to you and it must be difficult being away. That said, I'm glad you are finding comfort where you are in celebrating her life. I miss you, my friend, and enjoy reading your posts! I love you and you and Alan both are in our prayers, especiallyin your time of loss.
Love you, Charis